Saturday, June 24, 2006

php extension

Had always thought of exploring the php extension creation part. Although i have always encouraged my team to go for it wherever it makes sense, never got time to sit down and write my own first piece of extension. Today i sat and decided to write my first php extension. Doing this on a saturday definitely helped as i didn't get distracted with daily fire fightings and meetings.
The whole beauty of writing the extension and making it part of the php you have just installed from source is mesmerizing. I was able to easily write an extension and run it through the command prompt. Running it from the cli was seemless, however it didn't work from the web server. Got to check it out now. Have to rush back home. Will lick this problem later. For now, the boost that i got from writing a small extension is enough to motivate me to write a useful extension soon and contribute to the community. Well here is the Zend url which helped me with my first shot at extensions.

No comments: